Please note that this performance is now postponed until further notice as a consequence of the UK government’s advice relating to the Covid-19 outbreak. All ticket holders have been contacted directly about refund options - please call the Box Office if you cannot locate the email. Full statement here.
A new Inspire initiative for 2020 is our Discovery Matinee taking place on Sunday 21 June. The performance of Rigoletto will be our first main-stage relaxed performance with a touch tour, audio-description and accessible ticket pricing to allow newcomers to discover opera.
23% tickets will be distributed free to under 18s and over 65s. Aimed at first-time opera-goers, families, young and old, community groups, children and adults with disabilities and special educational needs and carers, we will provide an accessible and inclusive experience for new audiences.
On this page you’ll find out more about what to expect, and how to book your tickets!
The key features of the project are:
- Matinee Performance – a fully staged performance of Rigoletto with a cast of 45 singers and orchestra of 44 for an audience of 1,047 people
- Relaxed Performance – adapted performance to make the experience accessible for children and adults with special needs
- Free and Subsidised Tickets – 244 free tickets for people under the age of 18, older people and community groups. All paid tickets priced £25-£40 (usually £66-£90).
- Opera Newcomers – the matinee is aimed at first-time opera goers, families and other young people.
- Local Charities – working with schools and local charities to reach members of the community from socially and economically deprived parts of the borough.
- Workshops – free interactive workshops for community groups and charities involving singing and activities to introduce the opera and explain the story.
- Accessible Theatre – audio-described facility, touch tour, wheelchair seating, step free access, disabled facilities and dementia friendly trained staff.
For more information about each of these components and how to book your tickets, please see below.
Audio-description is a live, verbal commentary relayed through hearing enhancement headsets, to assist patrons who are blind or partially sighted. It helps set the scene of the show, describing settings, characters, costumes and action on stage throughout the performance.
Accompanying this is a Touch Tour, which gives blind and partially sighted patrons the opportunity to go up on stage and touch scenery, props and costumes before the performance, enhancing their experience of the opera. We welcome anyone who would benefit from these services to make use of them.
The Touch Tour will start at 12.45pm before the performance. An option to book tickets to the Touch Tour will come up after you have selected tickets for the performance. Alternatively, please just email firstname.lastname@example.org and one of the team will be able to reserve a ticket on a behalf.
A Relaxed Performance offers a warm welcome to people who find it difficult to follow the usual conventions of theatre behaviour, including those with learning disabilities, movement disorders, autistic spectrum disorder or other neurological conditions.
Many other people may choose to attend a Relaxed Performance either as an access requirement or because they like the inclusive environment. The performance offers a laid-back approach to noises and movement from the audience, giving everyone permission to relax and respond naturally.
If you would like more information about any aspect of the Discovery Matinee, please call our Box Office on 0300 999 1000.
Free tickets for the Under 18s
We are pleased to be able to offer 250 free tickets for under 18s for this performance. Applications for free tickets will open on Monday 30 March at 10am. To find out more and to apply, click here.
Access at the theatre
We want to make sure that Opera Holland Park is accessible to everyone, and that all our patrons have a comfortable and enjoyable experience at our theatre. For more information about what access support we offer, please click here.
Band A : £40 (Non-Members) / £35 (Members)
Band B : £35 (Non-Members) / £30 (Members)
Band C : £30 (Non-Members) /£25 (Members)
Band D : £25 (Non-Members) /£20 (Members)
INSPIRE : £20
Priority booking is now open for Members and Supporters. Public booking opens on Wednesday 26 February at 10am.
For full details of our production of Rigoletto and to book tickets, please visit the production page.