Opera Holland Park is committed to sustainability and reducing our impact on the environment.
Here at Opera Holland Park we believe that the artistic institutions should be at the forefront of leading the conversation on environmental sustainability and social responsibility.
As we prepare for our 31st festival in 2020, we are revising and improving our measures taken towards environmental sustainability and embedding them into company-wide operations, creative work and business practice. We still have a lot to learn and we know change won’t happen overnight, but with the help of our friends across the industry, we are assessing and rethinking our practices going forward.
To keep things consistent and to make sure we manage our eco-measure to the best of our ability, we follow the 8-R practice: Reduce, Replace, Reuse, Recycle, Recover, Refuse and Reject, Rethink. Just some of the ways we ensure we are working in the most sustainable way possible, we:
- Reuse or recycle our set and props
- Brief our team on environmental measures and practices
- Donate old sets to schools and share our props and resources with theatres across London
- 100% LED lit
- Our toilets only use 0.6L of water on every flush and we only use recycled toilet tissue and natural soaps for cleaning
- Actively encourage our patrons to use public transport when travelling to the festival and we are cycle-friendly
- Working towards maximising ‘paperless’ processes in our Finance and Administration departments, using recycled paper for anything that needs to be printed such as programmes or brochures
In 2020 we are taking further action to improve our sustainability practices and reduce waste during the festival season:
- We have banned any single use plastic bottles from being sold at our Main Bar and Members’ Bar.
- No single use plastic glasses or straws will be used for the drinks service
- The price of the sparkling and still wines and any spirit mixers will include a reusable festival glass, which you are welcome to take home with you/keep as a souvenir.
- You are also very welcome to bring your own reusable plastic glasses in order to support the crucial change and reduce waste.
- We will have free water refill stations available on site and we encourage you to bring your own reusable water bottles.
We have an active Sustainability Working Group who creatively deliver on our Sustainability Guidelines, building on our past achievements and seeking new actions for the future.
To find out more about our commitment to sustainability, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.