Sun 28 July 2019
SAVE THE DATE! On 28 July Opera Holland Park will be opening its doors for a day of music, workshops and exhibitions.
Bring your friends and family to our beautiful theatre in the heart of West London’s Holland Park to see the inner workings of an opera company. Take part in a creative workshop, talk to our artists and production team, get a closer look at our set designs, and try conducting the City of London Sinfonia!
Schedule for the day
- Get creative with illustrator Rosie Brooks
- Learn to conduct a string quartet
- Explore the use of music and drama in child development, with our community and education project, OperaUNITY
- Dance on our stage! Learn the ball scene from our ★★★★★ production of Un ballo in maschera
- From concept to stage – meet and learn from stage designer Alyson Cummins
- Discover the creative process – a Q&A with some of our directors, conductors, producers and performers
- Learn about the benefits of music for those living with dementia, with Playlist for Life
- Minute Maestro – try your hand at conducting the City of London Sinfonia
- Networking time – if you’re interested in a career onstage or off, get advice from producers, directors, marketers, technicians and singers, covering everything from CVs to job interviews
- Engaging children in the arts – a taster of our Un ballo in maschera schools’ workshop
- Developing the voice – a singing masterclass with acclaimed mezzo, Yvonne Howard
- Take a break and join us for tea at our Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland tea party
- Producing for the stage – from West End to opera producing, Director of Opera James Clutton discusses the process from pre- to post-show
- Scratch chorus – learn to sing in a choir and perform on stage at 4.45pm
Throughout the day there will also be tours of the theatre, including backstage, as well as a costume exhibition and demonstrations by our wigs and make-up team.